Saturday, April 2, 2011

Opening Day!

  What a game! I honestly thought out the gate, this was going to be a bad game. After Edinson gave up those two bombs in the first I was silent for a good two innings. I was shocked when Carlos Gomez put one in the upper deck, I was saying to myself, "Here we go, gonna be a long game". Thank god I stuck around for the finish! I was impressed with him after those first two innings, Volquez settled down and started getting outs and made it though six. I wasn't sure if he was going to get to the fifth let alone finish the fifth.

   I personally always hang around for the end of a game unless it's that big of a loss or I got dropped off at the game and my ride is waiting. Just so happened, my ride drove around the city three times before I left. After seeing that finish though, I could care less. I wasn't going to leave Opening Day early like a friend of mine who found himself regretting leaving early. I actually called it, I'm sure a lot of people who are crazy optimistic at all times and say the Reds will come back and win every single game they are losing, but I was texting a friend who was there and said the Reds would win by on a late inning home run. I didn't think it would be a walk off home run, but I'll take a win any possible way!

   I was impressed with Stubbs and think this kid is going to have a monster year. Even if Votto doesn't put up the numbers he did last year, with Stubbs and Bruce continuing to improve at the plate, the Reds are going to be a hard team to beat. From what I saw, Stubbs might be the answer at leadoff. I know it was only one game, but this kid is going to be a stud. He put on muscle this offseason and looked great Opening Day, I have high expectations for him this year.

   The atmosphere was great from the first pitch to the last at bat. The place was packed and even down three runs in the ninth there was a lot of people still there. I will say most of the people in section 113 seemed to be drunk though, some guy gave me the hardest high five I've ever got after Hernandez hit that home run. My had stung for a good twenty minutes. I would say this was the second best Reds game I've attended, right behind Jay Bruce's walk off clincher last year.

   For all you people who haven't been to an Opening Day, YOU HAVE TO GO NEXT YEAR! It's a whole different experience from any other regular season game. I've been three years running, although I didn't get to go to the parade because I was driving back to Cincy from Gatlinburg, I got back in time for the game which was all that mattered to me. I also sat in downtown traffic for 45 minutes trying to find parking which I didn't. Barring any major life changes, I'll be attending many more years. Hopefully in a row, my goal is to be on that list of people they showed who have been 15 or more straight years.

   Since the season has started, I believe I will be posting a lot more. Check back soon for more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your view?